Below is a nutshell version of things you need to know about data and privacy, but first of all, please take it from me personally that all we’re interested in doing is introducing people to a lot of great whiskies, and we care a lot about using your info in the right way.
As such, any data/info we collect is only to help us meet more whisky fans online so we can introduce them to what we do and send them things of value, and we sure as heck won’t sell that data to anyone, and we sure as heck keep it private. Finally, you can sure as heck ask us to stop sending you emails or delete your data and we’ll do that ASAP!
Anyway, here’s the headlines:
2) If you buy from us, we’ll collect your details to help us fulfil your order, and you’ll have the option to receive marketing emails from us to (but by default you’ll only receive emails about your order). Payment data, like any proper website, is only collected for the sake of payments and is kept very securely by our payment providers (we don’t get to see it!).
3) If you sign up to our email list, we’ll send you emails that tell you about what we do (this might be a series of emails introducing you to our business, it might be our regular newsletters, it might be something we think is valuable to you like an offer or a giveaway). You can unsubscribe at any time using the links in these emails.
4) If you entered one of our competitions, you’ll be added to our email list as standard, but at the point of providing your email, we will have made it explicitly clear to you that we were going to do this (and you can unsubscribe at any time as per number 3).
5) If you did one of our quizzes on Facebook or elsewhere and provided your email afterwards, as with our competitions, we will have made it explicitly clear to you that we would then include you on our mailing list (and as ever, you can unsubscribe at any time).
If for any reason you think we mucked up and did something we shouldn’t have, I am confident it is a mistake, as I personally oversee how we handle customer data and manage our communications with customers and email subscribers, so please write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns or requests, and I’ll deal with it personally.
Thanks for reading, and enjoy the full legalese version below!
(Dram Team Founder)
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information”.
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons”, “tags”, and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Additionally when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers), email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information”.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
ORDER INFORMATIONWe use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfil any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to:
- Communicate with you;
- Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
- When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In order to do the above, we share your Personal Information with third parties. For example, we use Shopify to power our website and online store--you can read more about how Shopify uses your Personal Information here: https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy. We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site -- you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here: https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/privacy/. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We never give your Personal Information to a third party only so they can market to you.
Finally, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
As described above, we use your Personal Information to provide targeted advertisements or marketing communications we believe may be of interest. For more information about how targeted advertising works, you can visit the Network Advertising Initiative’s (“NAI”) educational page at http://www.networkadvertising.org/understanding-online-advertising/how-does-it-work.
You can opt out of targeted advertising by using the links below:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/settings/?tab=ads
- Google: https://www.google.com/settings/ads/anonymous
- Bing: https://advertise.bingads.microsoft.com/en-us/resources/policies/personalized-ads
Additionally, you can opt out of some of these services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance’s opt-out portal at: http://optout.aboutads.info/.
DO NOT TRACK
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access personal information we hold about you and to ask that your personal information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us through the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident we note that we are processing your information in order to fulfil contracts we might have with you (for example if you make an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Additionally, please note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to Canada and the United States.
When you place an order through the Site, we will maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
The Site is not intended for individuals under the legal age of drinking in the country in which you reside, which is 18 in the United Kingdom where we operate.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com or by mail using the details provided below:
The Dram Team
[Re: Privacy Compliance Officer]